• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

2023 FAL match is July 29th

tac-40

Moderator, Armed Curmudgeon
Staff member
FALaholic #
Stimpy has some specific rules regarding sling use and they are based upon safety. He should be along later to give the proper direction. In the action stage and the 600 stages (from previous history), the use of the sling will not help since much of your time is moving, getting into an awkward shooting position then getting out of it, all while on the clock. The sling will just slow you down by adding another thing to do along with all the devious things the course of fire requires.

And by all means, try to get the time off. This is a fun match, some decent prizes, and lots of fellowship among those that have similar interests. If you have a significant other and/or kids, make it a family vacation. Kids are welcome to shoot the match as long as they can safely carry the rifle and shoot it. Wives too, my compete. Over the years some of old farts have been soundly whipped during this match by members of the opposite sex.

bigstick61

FALaholic #
Stimpy has some specific rules regarding sling use and they are based upon safety. He should be along later to give the proper direction. In the action stage and the 600 stages (from previous history), the use of the sling will not help since much of your time is moving, getting into an awkward shooting position then getting out of it, all while on the clock. The sling will just slow you down by adding another thing to do along with all the devious things the course of fire requires.

And by all means, try to get the time off. This is a fun match, some decent prizes, and lots of fellowship among those that have similar interests. If you have a significant other and/or kids, make it a family vacation. Kids are welcome to shoot the match as long as they can safely carry the rifle and shoot it. Wives too, my compete. Over the years some of old farts have been soundly whipped during this match by members of the opposite sex.
No wife or kids, yet. I might bring along my brother or a friend, since they are along the two main driving routes. Can't ask well in advance and they don't tell you if you're approved or not until 20 days before the earliest date requested, so I won't know about the time off until July.

I don't think I'd bother looping up with a sling on the action stage based on the video I watched of it. The sling did seem like it'd have utility for the 600 yard stage I saw on video. Definitely useful in sitting and prone positions for the high power stage. The nice thing about the VCAS is that it is quick and easy to get in and out of if you're looping up with it.

How is the weather there in July? I'm assuming hot and humid.