• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Case lube effects on pressure

Eeben

FALaholic #
I have to use more spray on lube than I'd prefer to ensure that .308 cases don't get stuck in my die. I don't have a dry tumbler so after I load the rounds I'll take a damp cloth and wipe the case of the completed round. Am I wasting my time doing this? Is there zero effect of residual lube left on the case?

brunop

Refresh Key Masher
Staff member
Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
I don't think you're wasting your time on that.

I'm not an expert on this topic, but I've had oil build up in the chamber to not-great-effect.

If I don't like the 'cleanliness' of the reloads, I wipe them down with a micro-fiber towel. I don't want lube collecting dust or other goodies before they get in the gun.

ByronF

FALaholic #
What lube are you using? Are you letting the lube dry a bit before sizing? One-Shot needs a minute or three to dry out or the case will stick. The propellant leaves a wet solvent that is the opposite of lube. Once it flashes away leaving behind just the lube the cases will not stick. I have never needed "extra" lube.

Lube will not increase pressure but it will reduce case grip against chamber walls. If not tumbling I'd wipe down the cases.

Eeben

FALaholic #
I don't think you're wasting your time on that.

I'm not an expert on this topic, but I've had oil build up in the chamber to not-great-effect.

If I don't like the 'cleanliness' of the reloads, I wipe them down with a micro-fiber towel. I don't want lube collecting dust or other goodies before they get in the gun.
Yeah I also thought it seemed like greater likelihood of attracting particles.

TerryN

FALaholic #
In the past, I have been known to lay just-sized brass on an old towel, and thoroughly apply some type of solvent (denatured alcohol, etc.) to the towel, and wipe the brass down. I don't scrub each and every piece of brass by hand - I rely on contact with the towel to remove the lube. That works pretty well, especially if you spray Gun Scrubber or similar on it.

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
I use RCBS Case Lube II.

Water based lube.

Size the brass.

Put a hundred or several hundred cases in a bucket.

Run hot water in the bucket.

Swish-Swish the bucket.

Dump the water.

Repeat 3x.

Dump the wet brass on a beach towel.

Push the brass from one end of the beach towel to the other.

Put brass in a cardboard box and shaky-shaky. You can throw a few dry washcloths in the box it you want to absorb some water, and mitigate any case mouths being deformed from the shaky-shaky. I'm gentle on the shaky-shaky, so I don't damage case mouths. The little bit of water that is thrown off during shaky-shaky is absorbed by the cardboard.

Lay brass out (more boxes) for 48 hours in a low-humidity environment.

Put sized brass into storage buckets, or reload it immediately if you don't have 10,000 other pieces already ready-to-go.

Deltaten

FALaholic #
Seeking alternatives to generally available case lubes....
I used some Imperial case wax years ago. Now I'm looking at my can of Collinite Fleet Wax (Carnuba) and wondering ?
Same goes for spritz can of dry silicone lube....
Water-based? Anybody ever try loading up the roller pad with K-Y or Astro-lube?
Not gonna try any 'till I get a stuck case removal tool. ;)

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
I use the cardboard box-tops from 10-reem copier-paper boxes.
I bet your local print shop (Kinkos, Fed-Ex printing, etc.) would hook you up with copier paper boxes for free, or next to nothing.

If you don't want to put up with having a bunch of random shaky-shaky boxes in your garage, you can get yourself a six-pack of these for about $22 at Amazon.

61J-RG+9XdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

STG_58_guy

I'm not this cute IRL
Platinum Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
What lube are you using? Are you letting the lube dry a bit before sizing? One-Shot needs a minute or three to dry out or the case will stick. The propellant leaves a wet solvent that is the opposite of lube. Once it flashes away leaving behind just the lube the cases will not stick. I have never needed "extra" lube.

Lube will not increase pressure but it will reduce case grip against chamber walls. If not tumbling I'd wipe down the cases.
I didn't know this and I wonder if I've been going overboard on application. Trying to keep the cases greasy?

STG_58_guy

I'm not this cute IRL
Platinum Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Time for a tumbler my friend. Cases should be totally free of lube before seating your bullets. My preference is a wet tumbler with ss pins and a good dryer before seating. Whatta Hobby!
I've read that you should lube your bullets before seating. Your advice is the opposite. I tend to believe you,Art. What are 'they' talking about? To prevent setback or any movement of you bullet, no lube makes sense to me.

ByronF

FALaholic #
Ever get dimpled shoulders? Had that happen with Dad's d 30-06 dies. Use of RCBS lube on ink pad, too much, plugged vent hole on side of the die. Air pressure dimpled the shoulders.

ArtBanks

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
I've read that you should lube your bullets before seating. Your advice is the opposite. I tend to believe you,Art. What are 'they' talking about? To prevent setback or any movement of you bullet, no lube makes sense to me.
I might lube black powder bullets during production and patches for round balls, but nothing else. Consistency of ignition relies on neck tension and seating depth which would be defeated by lube. Whatta Hobby!

lew

FALaholic #
Get a dry media tumbler. Throw the loaded cartridges in for 10-15 minutes to get the lube off. Problem solved.

Stay away from Hornady One Stuck 'lube'. Use a lanolin-based spray lube, and let it dry 15+ minutes so the alcohol can evaporate.

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
Ever get dimpled shoulders? Had that happen with Dad's d 30-06 dies. Use of RCBS lube on ink pad, too much, plugged vent hole on side of the die. Air pressure dimpled the shoulders.
YES.

Unsightly. But harmless.

The rifle DOES NOT CARE if the ammunition is not shiny, and blemished.

I’ve fired hundreds - if not THOUSANDS - of rounds with one degree or another of shoulder dents. NOT. ONE. ISSUE.

I apply RCBS Case Lube II with my bare hands. I over-do it a smidgen sometimes.

Last edited:

TerryN

FALaholic #
Maybe cast bullets. You typically lube them simultaneously with sizing them to the desired diameter.

ByronF

FALaholic #
YES.

Unsightly. But harmless.

The rifle DOES NOT CARE if the ammunition is not shiny, and blemished.

I’ve fired hundreds-if not THOUSANDS of rounds with one degree or another of shoulder dents. NOT. ONE. ISSUE.

I apply RCBS Case Lube II with my bare hands. I over-do it a smidgen sometimes.
Stubbornness and retardation are not the same thing, and neither are necessarily virtues. Stick a pin in the vent hole to clear the schmegma and you won't shit up your shoulders no matter how much lube you use, until the hole gets blocked again, which never happens if one doesn't go nuts with lube.

V guy

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Hatcher did a study of lubed cases in "Hatchers Notebook."

During Nat' Matches, Soldiers were greasing their cartridges for easier extraction.......but bolt lugs were shearing..........

They studied the matter and understood, like Art Banks mentioned above, that the brass has to stick to the chamber, mometarily, to prevent excessive bolt back thrust.

Clean brass........no lube.

Eeben

FALaholic #
In the past, I have been known to lay just-sized brass on an old towel, and thoroughly apply some type of solvent (denatured alcohol, etc.) to the towel, and wipe the brass down. I don't scrub each and every piece of brass by hand - I rely on contact with the towel to remove the lube. That works pretty well, especially if you spray Gun Scrubber or similar on it.
I'm using Royal Case and Die Lube right now. I've used the Lee stuff and I'd prefer a spray.

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
Stubbornness and retardation are not the same thing, and neither are necessarily virtues. Stick a pin in the vent hole to clear the schmegma and you won't shit up your shoulders no matter how much lube you use, until the hole gets blocked again, which never happens if one doesn't go nuts with lube.

skeletor sigh zip smaller.jpg