• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Mag carriers for the G3

Tuhlmann

THAT guy
Contributor
FALaholic #
Any .30 cal chest rig or belt pouches will work for G3/HK-91 mags. I have several of the German issued rubber pouches like this:

ABE4915B-CA0C-4A20-9B36-DBB1C958E3EE.jpeg

1077953E-D81C-4AFF-8F63-EBCFFF8656DB.jpeg

I’ve never used them in practice, but they have belt loops and seem to be functional. Can’t comment on durability, but the one in the photo is dated 1981 & the material is still pliable with no dry rot or cracking at hinges. I’d use them over the leather StG pouches if forced to choose.

C2A1

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Last edited:

lew

FALaholic #
A 30 caliber ammo can holds 10 mags.
I only get nine thanks to the overinstertion stops on the sides of the mags. However, a fifty can will hold around 16. :cool:

For carrying on my person, German Flecktarn LBE is really good stuff, but most any arrangement for .30 cal mags will work.

Enquiring Minds

FALaholic #
NOT an eh-spurt, and know NOTHING about the various polymer mags out there, but... AFAICT the G3/HK91 mags are the "worst case" among milsurp (metal) .308 20-rounders, i.e. between the over-insertion stops, thick walls, and beefy floorplate lips, you need the largest pouches in class... e.g. the G3 mags fit like crap, or not-at-all, in the excellent Canadian Pattern 82 FAL (C1) dual-mag pouches, so don't bother with those.

I've heard elsewhere that 2 G3 mags will fit in the VN Era ALICE triple mag pouches, made for M-16 30-rounders... guessing that involves cutting out both internal dividers... then wondering why Duh Enemy/Range Master always hears you coming...

lew

FALaholic #
NOT an eh-spurt, and know NOTHING about the various polymer mags out there, but... AFAICT the G3/HK91 mags are the "worst case" among milsurp (metal) .308 20-rounders, i.e. between the over-insertion stops, thick walls, and beefy floorplate lips, you need the largest pouches in class... e.g. the G3 mags fit like crap, or not-at-all, in the excellent Canadian Pattern 82 FAL (C1) dual-mag pouches, so don't bother with those.

I've heard elsewhere that 2 G3 mags will fit in the VN Era ALICE triple mag pouches, made for M-16 30-rounders... guessing that involves cutting out both internal dividers... then wondering why Duh Enemy/Range Master always hears you coming...
5.56 ALICE pouches are going to require cutting out the dividers for any 7.62 NATO mags. G3 mags- 2x- will fit fine (and none of mine rattle ;)). Really, if the pouch can fit PMAGs, it can probably handle G3 mags.

Enquiring Minds

FALaholic #
5.56 ALICE pouches are going to require cutting out the dividers for any 7.62 NATO mags. G3 mags- 2x- will fit fine (and none of mine rattle ;)). Really, if the pouch can fit PMAGs, it can probably handle G3 mags.
Two great points--good to know!

PS: what are crafty alternative uses for the grenade-loops often found on both ends of the 5.56 ALICE pouches?... or do peeps just cut 'em off?

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I have a couple of these and one other model that's nearly identical. Holds five mags. Not really a wearable type of secure but easy to grab on the way out the door, throw over the shoulder for cross chest carry and keeps mags with you. I have these for FAL and G3 mags. Edit: These hold six, the others hold only five.

Can't find them anymore but for one location across the pond where shipping made buying cost prohibitive.

lew

FALaholic #
Two great points--good to know!

PS: what are crafty alternative uses for the grenade-loops often found on both ends of the 5.56 ALICE pouches?... or do peeps just cut 'em off?
Leave the loops empty or cut 'em off. I prefer dedicated grenade pouches.

Laufer

FALaholic #
The plastic rifle case for my pair of PTR-91s (2021-early '22 vintage) holds two magazines when I go to the private club.

I never do (British) SBS :cool: role-playing or try to "identify" as a Navy SEAL at the club, or train for a Second Battle of Shiloh :) (#1 was 1863: 1&1/2 hours from here) but enjoy hitting clay pigeons or empty plastic bottle most of the time.

Anyway, hose FAL (G1) German black leather pouches on Gunbroker look quite cool. Why wouldn't they hold HK/PTR-91 mags? Any imagined HK vs. FAL heresy doesn't bother me.
We are not standing at attention in the Bundeswehr, ready for inspection. -------These pouches seem "Einfach geil, meine Kameraden !"

Remind me of my tiny black leather mag pouches for my Sig "P225" (stamped on the slide, and the Kiel 'squashed bug' proof on the chin).

Last edited:

Danziger

FALaholic #
The plastic rifle case for my pair of PTR-91s (2021-early '22 vintage) holds two magazines when I go to the private club.

I never do (British) SBS :cool: role-playing or try to "identify" as a Navy SEAL at the club, or train for a Second Battle of Shiloh :) (#1 was 1863: 1&1/2 hours from here) but enjoy hitting clay pigeons or empty plastic bottle most of the time.
At 67 years old, I told my wife that I sincerely wanted to volunteer for the auxilaries in the Ukrainian Army (not kidding one bit), but she said "....your age, and taking your statins etc".

Anyway, hose FAL (G1) German black leather pouches on Gunbroker look quite cool. Why wouldn't they hold HK/PTR-91 mags? Any imagined HK vs. FAL heresy doesn't bother me.
We are not standing at attention in the Bundeswehr, ready for inspection. -------These pouches seem "Einfach geil, meine Kameraden !"

Remind me of my tiny black leather mag pouches for my Sig "P225" (stamped on the slide, and the Kiel 'squashed bug' proof on the chin).

It’s been my experience that G3 mags are just too tight fitting in those particular pouches. I tried them some years back and while you can wrestle them in they make for an impossible quick mag change. They could probably be
stretched but I went with 30rd ALICE m16 mag pouches. They hold a pair of G3 mags perfectly.