• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

New to me L1a1

FUUN063

FALaholic #
Nice rifle. It appears that the barrel may is a Fazakerly F59 (Firth Brown, 1959 man.), gas block on barrel is Enfield 1959 man., trigger is a BSA 1958 man., the trigger housing some refer to a the "lower" is an Australian later replacement used in many L1A1's, selector is Broad Arrow marked and tack welded later due to a loose fitting barrel or axis pin, Enfield 1980 man. charging handle, Enfield 1958 bolt carrier, BSA 1959 man. bolt that has been in many rifles. All of these parts on an Entreprise receiver and a top cover unknown manuf. (usually the stamp is on the rear "tab"). While it's a very nice beginning to an L1A1 (GO INCH!), some here are very OCD and try to get the major parts to match each other either by year or manufacturer (or both!). haha..........................Now that you're hooked, there's some serious reading that needs to be done by you to get the intimate knowledge you seek. I'm presently looking for certain parts to complete my all matching 1958 kit.

Leland

SwampGoblin

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I appreciate the info guys! Is there a certain part prefix I should be looking for for an enfield lower? (If they made them). The goal is gonna be swap out the lower for a brit one and maybe find an older charging handle. I gotta grab the right flashhider now and send it off to get it threaded and painted after the parts swap. I got this for what I would consider cheap, I saw the abni stamp on the reciever and knew this was gonna be my inch example. Its gonna get a set of flywood while im at it. I'm firmly seated over in the metric camp but you gotta have ONE for the collection. JUST ONE lol.
1000033605.jpg
1000033604.jpg
1000033602.jpg
1000033608.jpg
1000033607.jpg

Last edited:

BrunoN

Contributor
FALaholic #
Nice find, I recently picked up a brit l1a1 on the same enterprise receiver. Close as I'll ever get to a proper inch rifle. Working on some wood furniture for it currently.
Enjoy it!

CTW

Contributor
FALaholic #
You’ll have to have the barrel re-threaded and another keyway slot cut if you want to put the original flash hider back on. You can see the spot where the drunken monkeys at century drilled into the barrel so they can put their blind pin in. Check that that hole wasn’t too deep. I’ve actually seen one, one time where it was barely protruding into the rifling. It was a shame to cut the barrel a little more.

NZ L1A1 Collector

Moderator & Collectaholic
FALaholic #
The Barrel has been given a Concession, something during production didn't match the plans, but is still serviceable/usable. That is the C with the double arrows through it.

Is there a number on the Barrel starting with a 'C' eg C123456. ?

enbloc8

FALaholic #
An Enfield lower will have a serial number prefixed with UE, dated from 1957 through 1966. For instance, UE 63 A123456. It will be on the left side.

Your inverted-AD lower with no serial number appears to have been an unused lower from the end of production at Lithgow.

Your Fazakerley barrel is also worth noting. Royal Ordnance Factory Fazakerley, in Liverpool, had been the "other" arsenal originally designated to produce L1A1s for Her Majesty. The place had been a hotbed of Communist-influenced labor unrest from the day it opened, and while it produced many of the L1A1 parts, it never managed to assemble a single rifle before being shut down in 1960. Some "F" marked parts are fairly common (flash hiders, charging handles, and magazines come to mind)...barrels are not.

Armsdad

FALaholic #
Nz l2a1, made the gas block. Had to use longer side cover screws. Will find some more correct looking later.

Attachments: